Triangle Head Tattoo

How Much We Got?  $100.00
66.67%
$00.00
$150.00

Monday, August 16, 2010

NBC- I Hate You

So, as you all know, I've been working at my unpaid internship for the past few months.  These guys here are awesome, really laid back, and all that stuff so while I'm doing my work I'll have an episode of House or Law and Order on in the background and they won't give a who.  Now of course, I would never pay for any of these episodes myself so I download them illegally like any normal guy.  I use bittorrent which is a great program.  Last Thursday night I decided to download season 1 of Modern Family (amazing show by the way) and I forgot to close the program.

Anyway, I bring my computer to work Friday, as I do everyday, go online, do my work and all that ish.  I leave work on Friday and head to the airport to go to Pittsburgh for the weekend.  On my way to the airport I get an email that my boss forwarded to me from our internet provider stating that their were notifications of copyright infringement on our IP address because someone was sharing files illegally.  The files were House Season 6 and Law and Order SVU Season 11.  SHIT.

The email just says, delete the files, don't do it again, blah blah blah.  Then I get a call from my boss and he sounds not happy.  He tells me that NBC just called him and they need a call back by 5 PM Monday to find out why our organization is sharing their files and if they don't hear from us they will take the proper actions, AKA, a lawsuit or criminal charges.  FUCK.

So I spend half of my day Friday researching online how often NBC sues for copyright infringement.  I only saw three stories so that wasn't too bad.  I spent the other half trying to figure out how I'm going to pay off $100,000 in fines/lawsuits with my $300 bank account.  That one I never came up with an answer for. 

Anyway, I come to work today and go over to my boss and he says, I don't really want to look at you right now, just go sit down, I need to call NBC. OMG.  So he calls NBC, asks for Mark Simmons, and I hear him saying things like, "It was only two files.  You can't even prove who it was.  How am I going to come up with that kind of money?"  He hangs up and comes over to me and says, "Well, we need $20,000 by Friday or they're going to take criminal actions."  He proceeded to follow this statement up with, "Punked!"  FUCK ME.

Awesome, I just spent this weekend on vacation, freaking out because I thought I just ruined this company and my career.  Not only that, how the fuck was I going to write a 20 page paper about an internship that ended with the company being owned by NBC.   AH!

UPDATE: The email from the ISP was real, they really got notifications of copyright infringement.  Everything else was fake.  This is for clarification.  

2 comments:

  1. Man I really could have milked this thing a lot longer. Totally should have waited for Ramiro to Jam Scam your ass!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like something you would do to someone else. Like that time you told me that you got drafted to whatever team and I told the whole town. KARMA.

    ReplyDelete